Androgenetic alopecia (pattern hair loss)
AGA or pattern hair loss is the most common hair loss in men and women. Clinical characteristics include a reduction of terminal hair density on the scalp that follows a typical pattern in both genders, with a conversion of terminal to vellus-like hairs and an increase of telogen hair (in an episode of active shedding).
Male pattern hair loss results from a combination of androgen and genetics. Its pattern will develop with recession of the frontal hairline to M-shaped and can be classified by Norwood-Hamilton classification. Ethnic variation in the incidence has been reported. Caucasian has higher incidence than Asian and African.
Female pattern is age-related. 40% of Caucasian women have developed some degree of this hair loss at age 70 but less frequent in Asian women, presented with a diffuse loss of hair on the crown and persistence of the frontal hairline.
Patient history and physical exam usually give a definite diagnosis. In young women, further investigations are recommended to rule out other diseases.
Currently, two medications are approved for the treatment of AGA: oral finasteride and topical minoxidail. However, hair restoration or hair transplantation is the most successful and permanent treatment for AGA.
FUE Hand vs Machine
Manual FUE or hand operate.
FUE is done on superficial skin which is very easy to access. Surgical light is perfect for any bald head. Eye hand coordination have no obstruction. In this situation hand movement for extraction along natural follicular curve is much better than any man made machine.
Surgical robot or machine is helpful only when machine movement can do better than hand. In Surgery in location which is difficult to put hand in like in prostrate gland to remove prostrate tissue. Hand can not get through the urinary urethra then machine through the tube system can manuever better than hand. Or in gall bladder bed . Both of this area machine is better than hand. So the machine and robot system is better.
On the skin surface for FUE. So far no any machine can beat human hand. No matter how expensive is the machine. Machine and robot is good for advertising only not for operation.
Indications for FUE:
1. For one who like very short hair stye.
2. FUE can use for repair of many kind of scar. Surgical scar,Burn,Disease scar etc.
3. FUE after Strip harvesting because scalp is too tight . Not very safe to close this scalp.Then FUE
But FUE prone to have a white spot.
4. One who do not like strip harvesting.
5. To remove hair follicle from beard ,chest,umbilical pubic or leg need to do FUE.
6. FUE can be done on any size of transplant 500-3000 FU.
7. One who want less invasive surgery.
Disadvantage of FUE:
1. Long surgery 10-12 hr
2. Possible over harvesting ( take too much and too big of doner area)
3. Need to shave big portion of hair (Doner Area).
4. Possible hypo pigment at the doner area