To cover up and fight his hair loss, an adult male completed 3 different hair transplants over an extended period followed by 1 tattoo procedure. Still unsatisfied with his hairline and the unnatural look of the “tattoo”, the male met to discuss options for another operation. From doing so, the patient decided to undergo an alternative hair transplant surgery that removed 1,750 follicular units from his beard (below the jaw line) and transplanted these hair follicles into the temple to aesthetically improve and camouflage the tattoo marked.
39 year-old Caucasian male with baldness at the temple area and receding hairline. Underwent 3 separate hair transplant surgeries to combat his hair loss. Most importantly, these surgeries depleted a large amount of hair follicles from the posterior scalp (this is the “prime” donor site area for a hair transplant patient).
The patient was dissatisfied with the results and decided to undergo another procedure altogether called the “medical hairline tattoo” (also known as scalp micropigmentation) on the temple area to cover up his receding hairline.
Unfortunately, the patient was displeased with the outcome from the “medical hairline tattoo” because it looked artificial and he wanted a ‘natural’ looking hairline.
The patient consulted H.H.H. Natural Hair Transplant Center to camouflage the “medical hairline tattoo”. He decided to have his fourth hair transplant. This time around, the patient used his beard hair as the donor source for hair follicles to be transplanted into his temple area. He undertook Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) surgery to harvest (extract) 1,750 follicular units (each unit is typically composed of 1-3 hairs) below the jawline (donor site) and then implant into the temple area (recipient site) and frontal hairline.
TECHNIQUE & SURGERY (Follicular Unit Extraction – FUE)
- Photographs are taken to compare and analyze before and after results.
- Patient receives local anesthesia to reduce pain and discomfort during the surgery.
- Local anesthesia is composed of Lidocaine 0.5% mixed with Marcaine 0.125% and Tumescent Fluid [Normal Saline Solution 1,000 mL, Xylocaine 1% 50 mL, 1 ampoule 1 mL of adrenaline 1:1000].
- Doctor carefully draws the Line Thai Micro Hairline (Ancient Thai specialty for creating a natural looking hairline) at the recipient area.
- Doctor makes 1,750 incisions (size – 1 mm) creating hair canals into the temple using a micro-surgical knife (Micro slit blade).
Doctor selects and removes one-by-one a total of 1,750 follicular units below the jawline using a sharp 1 mm follicular unit extractor manually
- All of the follicular units are counted and prepared for implantation. To protect each hair follicle, they are placed into a Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) solution (stimulates hair growth and promotes healing). Proper maintenance and storage is essential during this step. The follicular units are hydrated and kept in containers at 4 degrees Celsius.
- Local anesthesia (under step 2) may be administered again if the patient requests.
- Doctor carefully places the follicular unit into the hair canal with micro-surgical forceps. This step is repeated until the entire recipient area is completed. The hair canals heal in 7-10 days.
- Patient leaves clinic with antibiotics, pain pills and returns the next day for the first shampoo.
- Patient receives instructions and learns how to wash the transplanted area without damaging the new follicular units during the first visit back from surgery.
- Patient will shampoo 3-4 times a day until all the scabs (dry blood on the scalp from the surgery) fall out (usually takes 1 week).
- Patient may experience swelling of the forehead for 2-7 days.
- Patient may shave his beard 2 week after the surgery.
- The patient needs to avoid direct sunlight for a minimum of 3 months to the transplanted site.
- In 3 months, new hair will start to grow.
- In 6-8 months after surgery, 95% of the transplanted hair will have grown.
Patient is very happy with the new thick natural hairline . Tatoo marked is not there anymore. Look young strong and handsome again.
- Is beard hair the preferred alternative source (area) for extracting additional hair follicles once a hair transplantAnatomy of beard hair
(Picture 7)patient has a low amount of donor hair follicles left on the scalp?
Beard hair (below or above the jawline) is potentially an excellent source for hair follicles that can be utilized for a hair transplant because of facial hair thickness for certain males, the speed of hair growth on the beard, and a lower percentage of telogen (the final phase of three, this is where the follicle lies dormant and can last from 1-4 months) hair that is present in this area.
Anatomy of beard hair:( Picture 7 )
Beard hair is more thick twist and curly from the exit out. Skin in beard area is thin so more easy to extract with the extractor than the scalp. FUE is practically separate attachment of the four erector pilli muscle ( Picture 8 ) from the hair follicle.
- Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) is often associated with hair loss, why target the beard zone?
Yes, DHT is a culprit for hair loss on the head. Ironically though, DHT acts positively on the face because it causes growth of facial hair and exhibits a lower risk of falling out again after transplant. This is why the beard hair is a viable source.
- Who is the ideal choice to perform the beard hair to scalp hair transplant; experienced hair surgeon or robot?
This type of delicate surgery (beard hair to scalp hair transplant) is best performed using the ‘hands’ of an experienced and skilled hair surgeon. The ‘human touch’ is special and irreplaceable. The robotic hair transplant system cannot equal or replace the ‘human touch’ to work on the highly sensitive jawline.
- Tattoo or Scalp Micro Pigmentation(SMP) is one of a very good choice for baldness , thin hair and scar on scalp. SMP effect on 2 dimensions skin. Hair effect on 3 dimensions. skin and above skin. So in order to look natural
SMP should use in hairy area not on hairless skin or close to the edge of hairline.
Should use same color with hair but 30-40 % lighter.
No sharp dot. Very blurred dot uneven and random is more natural.
Beard hair (below or above the jawline) is an achievable follicular unit donor source area for a hair transplant when a patient has completed multiple hair transplants and exhausted the hair follicle s present at the posterior scalp (optimal donor zone).
. Viroj Vong,MD Line Thai Micro Hairline
Hair Transplant Forum International page 48: March/April 2008
Beard Hair Transplant To Hairline
June 14, 2016
H.H.H. NATURAL HAIR TRANSPLANT CENTER
Dr. Viroj Vong
219/40 Asoke Towers
Floor 12 Sukhumvit 21 (Asoke)
Bangkok 10110 Thailand